Q: What is Day Habilitation?

A: A Day Habilitation Center is a program for adults who have intellectual or developmental disabilities (IDD).  Services are provided in a group setting during normal weekday and workday hours.  Services vary, but may include recreational activity, specialized therapy, and life skills training. 

Q: Who works there?

A: Big Hearts is staffed with professionals who have experience in their designated areas of profession. Please refer to our website for a detailed description of each employee and their qualifications. 

Q: Who can attend?

A: As your child makes the transition to adulthood, you might be looking for programs that will help them continue to build their skills, make new friends, and schedule their days.  Day habilitation could be a fit for your adult who may have IDD (Intellectual Developmental Disability) after they graduate from high school if they won’t be working at a job or going to college or another school.  The required age is 18+. 

Q: How much does it cost?

A: Day Habilitation is usually paid for by a waiver program, if your loved one can get those services.  If not, private pay is an option, or donated funds.   Waivers let states use Medicaid funds for long-term home and community-based services (HCS) for people with disabilities of special health care needs to help them live in the community.  The private pay cost is $80.00 - $150.00 per day.  Depending on the level of care of the client. 

Q: What payment method do you take?

A: If your loved one is on a waiver our staff will contact HHSC and Medicaid to make arrangements for payments.  Private pay can be in the form of a credit/debit card, a personal check, a cashiers check, a money order, or donated funds.  All sources of payments will be made out to “Big Hearts Day Habilitation Center”.

Q: Do you have to live in Mansfield, Texas or Arlington, Texas to attend?

A: No, you do not.  

Q: Are there any alternatives to attending Day Habilitation?

A: Yes.  Some clients can attend college, work with supported employment, work with unsupported employment, live in a group home, live at home, or live in a state school. 

Q: Do the clients make money while attending the Day Habilitation?

A: No.

Q: Can I sponsor a client?

A: Yes.

Q. Is Big Hearts a 501(c)(3) tax exempt corporation?

A. Yes.  Donors can deduct all contributions.  

Q: How can I donate?

A: You can donate through our website at  You can also donate by writing a check, money order, or cashiers check made payable to Big Hearts Day Habilitation Center.  Or go to or and simply type in our name, or 

Please Donate To Our Organization!   

 For corporate sponsorship or ACH please contact Ellen Robinson @ or by calling 214-205-1381.